Your feet are amazing structures. They take you everywhere you want to go. They carry the entire weight of your body. They make it possible to climb, run, walk, jump and do a myriad of mundane and extraordinary activities. At Long Island Foot & Ankle Group PC we want our patients to appreciate their feet. Here are some facts you may not know:
· One quarter of all the bones in your body are found in the feet: 26 bones per foot
· Your foot also contains 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 tendons and muscles
· A pair of feet contain 250,000 sweat glands and they produce ½ a pint of perspiration each day
· In an average lifetime, a person walks 115,000 miles—that’s like walking around the entire earth more than 4 times!
· It takes 5 to 6 months to grow a completely new toenail—and nails grow fastest during hot weather, teenage years and pregnancy
· Women walk on average 3 miles more than men on a daily basis—women also have foot problems 4 times as often as men
· By the time a child reaches the age of one, the foot grows to almost half of its full-grown adult size
· 25% of the U.S. population has flat feet
· When running, your feet sustain pressure equal to four times your body weight
· Over 50% of American women have bunions
· The soles of your feet have more sensory nerve endings per square centimeter than any other body part
Last but not least, 3 out of 4 Americans will experience a significant foot problem at some point in their lives. If you have any pain, discomfort or unusual foot, toe or ankle symptoms, contact our Valley Stream or Lake Success office for an appointment. Our podiatrists, Dr. Russell Caprioli, Dr. Mary Ann Bilotti, Dr. John Haight and Dr. Marzana Mleczko will provide an accurate diagnosis and a treatment plan custom tailored to you.